Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Simple Adjustments

Sometimes it is the simple adjustments that have the biggest impact on making a lifestyle change.

I was thinking about this today as I was making lunch. I never used to cut my sandwich in half, but I started doing it so the tomatoes wouldn't fall out as I tried to eat a whole sandwich. If I cut it in half, there was less of a chance that the stuffings would come out. Now I realize that cutting it in half had a bigger impact. I eat more slowly. Often times I would eat a sandwich and then have to think.."Did I really eat a whole sandwich that fast?" By cutting it I at least make myself slow down. It also slows down the preparation. I find when I'm just throwing stuff on a plate to get it done quickly I'm mentally telling myself I have to rush to eat it. If I take my time to prepare it, then I usually take my time to eat it.

Another small adjustment I've made is drinking water with a straw. I find that I am able to drink much more water this way. I drink it in a cup that I can't see how much is in there at any given time so I don't get depressed about how much I have left to drink. I consistently am drinking over 100 ounces of water a day. After a while you don't pee that much!!

Eating protein. I am trying to always have some protein at every meal. It does fill me up and also I think protects me from the food mood that I get if i overdose on carbs. Sometimes this might be a teaspoon of peanut butter with the fruit I choose, but I think it is helping.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent stuff! Isn't it amazing how little changes can yield either big results or big insights!? I also drink water with a straw, but because my teeth are cold sensitive, and cold water requires increased metabolic rate in the body to process than warm. (I used to drink warm water, yuck!) The increased protein really helps rebuild body tissues used in working out. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always drank a lot of h2o, but now I fill my big mug up before it is completely empty. That way I have no excuse for not chug-a-luging. And I make myself suck up at least 4 big swallows each time ( I use a straw too).
    I like this post on small changes.

    ReplyDelete