Thursday, January 26, 2012

Trying New Activities

One of the benefits of having lost a lot of weight is the confidence to try new things.  In the fall I climbed *half* of a rock wall (which I never would have done at 290 lbs).  Last Saturday I tried Cross Country Skiing.

Now I've tried downhill skiing once and I HATED it.  I don't like to go fast down hill on anything (including my bicycle).  I don't like waterslides and I have difficulty explaining to my children why mommy won't go with them.  I just HATE it.  I'm afraid.  I've always been this way.  But I thought, how bad could cross country be?  Well it's fine, if you aren't having to go up and down  any hills, which usually at most trails there is a little bit of rolling.  My thighs did get a good work out though.  I won't be doing it again.  I did get a pair of snowshoes from my husband for Christmas though, so I'll be doing that when it snows again.

I'm glad I am trying new things though.  I think it's important as I gain confidence to put myself out there.   I think next month a friend and I are going to take a cooking class at a French restaurant. This particular one is on chicken and after you cook, you get to sit down and eat a 4 course meal with wine pairings.  I would have never done that before because I would have been worried that everyone was looking at me and judging me and thinking "That girl shouldn't be EATING, never mind cooking".  But I'm comfortable enough with myself now to do it. And THAT is exciting.


3 comments:

  1. exciting and a tremendous NSV!!!


    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for trying something new! I don't like downhill skiing either, though I wouldn't mind cross country.

    It's wonderful hearing all the things you're doing now that you have lost so much weight.

    Cooking class...super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can def relate to this statement: That girl shouldn't be EATING, never mind cooking.

    Winter sports is def something I'd like to expand upon.. but I know it can be fairly pricey (i.e. going to a ski resort and doing all that)...

    ReplyDelete